Thursday, March 02, 2006

I just finished reading Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller. What a strange, wonderful book. Miller looks at Christian spirituality, and is just so refreshing. He finds it troublesome that so much of Christianity divides people into 'in' and 'out' groups. He experiences non-judgmental love with a group of hippies that are not Christians, and wonders why Christians do so badly at it. After reading it, I get the distinct feeling that Miller puts his finger on some aspects of Christianity that are deeply disturbing to those of us who want to be loving, embrace diversity, refrain from judging... his treatise on the fact that we use love like money, doling out affection to those who act in ways that are pleasing to us, is convicting.

Definitely worth a read. It makes me feel like I want to be a Christian like Donald Miller is a Christian, and I'm always inspired by people who seem to be getting it right, without being arrogant about it. If you've read it, tell me what you thought. If you haven't, then read it, come back and comment. Thanks.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sheila said...

I actually wrote this down when you mentioned it on Sunday (a few weeks ago, I think). It's on my list now.

Welcome to the blog. It's fun.

1:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Glyn, I just picked up Blue Like Jazz yesterday... Looking forward to reading it. On the cover they compare him to Anne Lamott. Her book Traveling Mercies is one of my favorites. I'll let you know when I finish it.

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home