Thursday, March 02, 2006

A confession: I am a news snob

Although I am prepared to admit with pride (where shame might be more appropriate) that I come from a country that once took over the whole world and called it the British Empire, there is one thing about my country that I am proud of, and that is its news coverage. If you ever tune into BBC America and catch the BBC World News, you will find that it is just that - world news.

Maybe it's because we once occupied these far flung regions, or maybe Britain is so small that we need to look elsewhere for good news, but I enjoy the global perspective, delivered in that crisp BBC accent.

So, I endure American news. I manage to tolerate it only be telling myself that The Today show, on NBC in the morning, with Matt and Katie is not news. It's more like a magazine, and you may occasionally find a tidbit of news in there, but don't expect too much.

I admit, I could try and read a local newspaper, but there's so much of it... and I'm really not that interested in a lot of stuff that passes for local news.

So, my snobby solution is simply this: I read The Economist, a weekly magazine that is not just about economics, but in fact, seems to be, in my humble opinion, the best, most thoughtful, global, informative news magazine that exists. To get a taste of the coverage, go to the website (www.economist.com) and read some of the Backgrounder articles, to give an overview of, for example, the Arab-Israeli conflict. I love this magazine. I feel smarter when I've read it - and I do read almost all of it.

The only thing it lacks is real entertainment news. I cannot find in The Economist who has had the latest nose or boob job; what two names of dating celebrities have now been combined to describe their relationship (Bennifer? Tom-Kat??), or anything else that someone who lives within 30 miles of Hollywood should care about... so strange that they would overlook this...

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, three posts in under an hour. I'd say that must be some kind of record, but I'm figuring out there are some bloggers out there who seem to be perpetually typing. Still, it is pretty impressive for a start! The Eonomist doesn't surprise me. Blue Like Jazz sounds interesting. Napkins? Really?

10:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

but you are such a loveable snob.

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home