Tuesday, April 11, 2006

TV that I love...

One show is very worthy of mention: Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. This is what we watch on Sunday nights when we're at home. It has always been a fun game for me to watch the show and see how many "religious" terms they end up using, because they can't help themselves. What they are doing is so inherently redemptive, that only religious language can do it justice. My game reached an ultimate vindication last week, when Ty actually prayed together with a family.

I think this team is such a beautiful picture of what a church can be, whether it is redeeming broken down houses or broken relationships. Redemption is beautiful in itself, and on this Easter Week, I'm conscious of what it cost to bring back beauty and wholeness to a broken world.

And unlike in the TV show, where the recipients are so very worthy, by virtue of the tragedy they have experienced, or the hardships they currently face... we are so unworthy, yet still recipients of wonderful grace.

So, kudos to Ty and team, love in action, redemption at work. It's definitely spiritual.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Glyn, I love this post. It seems very relevant, especially as I walk with friends on their journey of fostering children. There is such a need for redemption in that situation and I see my friends truly being what the church should be. It is difficult but you see what the possibility of redemption might mean to a family--a spiritually extreme makeover which could bring healing and restoration to all involved.

1:26 AM  
Blogger Sheila said...

This is my favorite part: "What they are doing is so inherently redemptive, that only religious language can do it justice." You are very quotable, Glyn!

Every time I watch that show, I cry like a woman having a breakdown. That, and It's A Wonderful Life. It gets me every time.

Great post. Easter Blessings!

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah, just one facet of the glyn i miss...
now i am really pleased that you are blogging.
have a wonderful easter.

7:08 AM  
Blogger joelle said...

yes, i cry like a baby at that show because they seem sooo worthy of help. i agree its the people who dont seem to need God (rich people with a seemingly perfect life)those need a transformation just as much. one that lasts longer than i heard those houses do.

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home